ARC REVIEW: His by Brenda Rothert

Monday, July 04, 2016













Quinn I’d say I’m down on my luck, but that’s an understatement. I’m flat on my ass. Homeless, hungry and in hiding with my little sister at the age of twenty-one, I’ve never been so desperate. I’ve hit rock bottom when I get an offer I can’t refuse. Sell my body to save my sister? There’s nothing I won’t do to keep her safe. I make the rules and I’m not afraid to defend myself if this rich guy crosses the line. But once I see beneath his cold, calculating façade, the lines aren’t so clear anymore.

Andrew She’s an intoxicating mix of tough and vulnerable I’ve never known before. This homeless woman who fits right into my upper-class world is running from someone powerful, and I’ll do whatever it takes to protect her. But Quinn isn’t meant to be controlled, so I’m forced to choose between owning her and loving her. I’ve finally met my match, and I’ll do whatever it takes to make her truly mine. 











Who doesn't love a rag to riches story? Or even a Cinderella story, complete with a fairy tale ending. His by Brenda Rothert is exactly that, although Quinn isn't as helpless as our Cinderella was.

Quinn lives on the streets with her little sister, Bethy. They've been on the streets for years dodging danger at every turn, scavenging for food from dumpsters but at least they were safe from the very real danger they escaped from back home. But their luck has finally run out. Quinn isn't so sure she can look after her sister anymore, her sister is sick and needs a doctor. But they can't risk being found so they have to stay hidden. Until Andrew comes into Quinn's life, her very own knight in shining armor, or better yet her Prince Charming.

For the most part I really enjoyed this story, and had it not been for a couple of problems (persistent ones) I would have given it a solid 4 star rating. I'm trying not to seem overly negative, but the things that hindered my enjoyment of this story were the pacing. I felt like the story was slow to start, well actually it was slow in general. But at the end, when it came to wrapping everything up the it seemed very rushed. Secondly Quinn's character seemed unreasonable and very accusatory while still being able to act entitled. I don't want to spoil but I felt like the hero was willing to bend over backwards for her, to his own detriment and I feel that if she felt as strongly as he did for him she would've never allowed him to make some of the sacrifices he did for her. There was a lot of taking but not much giving at the end of the day.

Quinn and Andrew's secrets were over hyped in my opinion, so when I found out what they were, it all felt a bit anti-climactic. This book was a okay, it was just missing some of that spark I look for in an outstanding book.

ARC kindly provided by author in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts