Christine's Review: Wolfsgate by Cat Porter

Sunday, November 23, 2014
My resurrection, they call it.

They have no bloody idea.

Shipwrecked and lost, left for dead,
Abandoned by my own family.
Drugged and addicted.

My wife saved me, brought me home.
I didn’t even know I had a wife—can I trust her?
I know I want her.
Desperately.
We are two of a kind—the manipulated, the tossed off, the rejected.

Bitter disappointments, painful secrets, age-old jealousies are my new shipwreck,
and my wife my new opium.

Is satisfaction to be found in revenge or revenge in satisfaction?
One thing I do know, without each other we’re both doomed.


Wolfsgate

A sensual 18th century tale of deception, revenge, and the hunger for love and absolution.
 


PURCHASE LINKS


REVIEW

5 STARS



Know this, Justine," he whispered. "When I made you mine that very first time, whatever came before simply fell away."

What drew me to this book was the fact that it was about revenge, I love this theme. But it's about a lot more than just revenge, there are secrets, there's jealousy, addiction, betrayal and of course love.

On his way back to England, the ship Brandon is on is wrecked at sea. He's gravely injured and is taken to hospital, he's given Opium to help re-leave the pain. So begins his addiction. The plot is so intricate and anything I tell you would completely spoil the book but a year late Brandon goes back to his home, his a shell of the man he used to be but Justine the wife he didn't know he had is right there to help him recover. The place he once called home is in disrepair, his fortune was slowly being squandered by his own family. The very people who should have looked out for him, were the ones who had left him for dead. He doesn't trust Justine, yet he can't help but be drawn to her.

"I only want your attentions, Lady Graven," he said into the side of her throat. "Your attentions excite me." He kissed the delicate skin under her jaw, wrapping a trail of molten heat around her. "It's quite a combination really." He let out a low laugh between soft kisses. "You arouse me, yet you keep me calm and even. I believe you are my new craving."


This book had so many layers, Brandon's character was dark, intense and he was hesitant to trust anyone, even his own wife. Apart from having to deal with the fact that his cousin and uncle tried to squander his inheritance he has to deal with the constant urge to give in to his addiction. Justine's character incredibly strong, even though she was a victim at first but that didn't last very long.

The writing was fantastic, I got swept up in the story. One minute you think you know who the friends and enemies are the next you're not so sure any more. Brandon and Justine's had so much chemistry together, their banter was sexy and hilarious and times. The sex scenes were scorching hot. The angst, god the angst was delicious and torturous. Both characters had gone through so much, and had been betrayed and taken advantage of by people who should have had their best interests at heart. Brandon seeks revenge and justice for everyone who has wronged him and his wife. Justine seeks happiness with the only man she has ever loved.

"This is us." Brandon's voice was gentle. "No one and nothing can take that away, sweet thing. Not ever. Not things that happened in the past way before us, not people's poisonous tongues today nor even tomorrow. Nothing."

The author kept me riveted right till the end, the drama of it all! I felt like I was a part of the story. It was wildly romantic, heartbreaking, a little bit dark and most importantly I loved both characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts